Roasted Tomato Soup
|September 24, 2012||Posted by Amee under Lunch and Dinner|
Roasted Tomato Soup
Enough fresh tomatoes cut in half or pieces to fill up a cookie tray. (The tomatoes I used were mainly Romas and Big Boys.)
6-8 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large yellow onion, sliced
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, washed or one grocery store I buy from only has basil in a tube that is minced into a paste you can also use that too, but I tend to love my basil so I use the entire tube.)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt or pepper to taste (I tend to not use much of either because the stock already has some sodium in it.)
1 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash your tomatoes and cut them in half if on the small side or into pieces if you have very large tomatoes.
- Arrange your tomatoes, sliced onions, peeled garlic, and fresh basil onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cookie sheet into the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the tomatoes, garlic , and onions are caramelized.
- Once everything is caramelized remove from the cookie sheet to a large pot at least 5 qts.
- Add in the 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then simmer for no more than fifteen minutes to reduce liquids.
- Use an immersion blender or potato masher to make your tomato soup as smooth as you like it. I love my soup to still be a bit chunky so I do not totally blend it smooth.
- Add the 1 cup of cream and stir in, but again this is totally optional.
Serve this yummy roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese, corn bread, or as a stand alone. Whatever you serve this soup with, it delicious and I hope your family loves it as much as mine.
What ways do you like eat your tomatoes? Comment below!
Where I Party:
I Should Be Mopping the Floor | Happy Hour | Hands On As We Grow | Saturday Show & Tell | Tater Tots & Jello | LiveRenewed | Hearth & Soul Blog Hop | Frugal Days Sustainable Ways | Strut Your Stuff Saturdays | Fancy This Fridays | Power of Pinterest Pinning Party | Adventures In Mommy Land |
Subscribe below and never miss a post!