A healthy take on pizza!
If you have been a reader long here at Inspired-Housewife you know that I love me some good pizza. This past weekend I made my kids some little individual pizzas and I wanted pizza myself. I had four large portobello mushrooms needing to be used in my fridge. I decided to use the mushrooms as my pizza crust to make a low carb healthy portobello mushroom pizza. I had never used portobellos this way, but I love mushrooms in general and figured they would be yummy.
These portobello mushroom pizzas were not only visually appealing, but they tasted fantastic. It was a perfect merge of flavors with the tomato sauce, garlic, onion, spinach, and blend of Italian seasonings. Plus nutritionally portobello mushrooms are full of fiber which is key to controlling high cholesterol and blood sugar levels. These mushrooms are meaty, but low in calories which helps keep your weight in check. It was one of the reasons I chose to try them out as a pizza crust.
The great thing about this recipe is you can totally use what you have on hand in your refrigerator. You can add sausage to them, go without cheese, add in spicy peppers, infuse with rosemary the options are endless with what you can create with a portobello mushroom pizza.
- 4-6 portobello mushrooms - stems removed and washed from any dirt
- 2 cups your choice of tomato or spaghetti sauce of choice
- 1 yellow bell pepper (color does not really matter) chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cherry tomatoes per portobello pizza sliced in half
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- hand full of spinach
- 1.5 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- Heat Oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Take your mushrooms and remove stems and wash all excess dirt and grime from them.
- Next on a cookie tray or cooking stone brush both sides of mushrooms with olive oil
- Put into oven and bake for 5 minutes only
- Once you have baked the mushrooms for 5 minutes add on the sauce, the minced garlic, chopped onion and bell pepper, sliced cherry tomatoes, spinach and season the top with the salt and Italian seasoning.
- Place however much mozzarella cheese you want or leave it as is to make dairy free.
- Place back into oven and cook ten minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and serve warm.
What is your favorite way to cook portobello mushrooms? Comment Below!