This past weekend I noticed the cherries on my one cherry tree were ready for picking. The cherries were a beautiful bright red and the flavor a perfect blend of sweet and sour. I picked cherries as I watched my children swing and slide on their play set. It was a beautiful day and one I will not forget because as I picked my last bowl full of cherries the dark clouds rolled in and rain sprinkled down from the sky like tiny dew drops from a flower. I looked over to the horizon to see the most beautiful rainbow jetting across the sky. The rainbow was only there for a few minutes, but I reflected on how blessed I am as a woman. Life is fleeting and moments like this need enjoyment.
While the rainbow lasted a brief moment, my bowl full of home picked cherries awaited me. I hope you enjoy this wonderful cherry crisp that makes the tastes buds tingle with delight. This crisp can be served hot with a scoop of ice cream or it is good cold.
- Almond Cherry Crisp - Gluten Free
- 1½ cups of Almond Flour or you can use regular All Purpose Flour if not gluten free.
- 6 tablespoons of softened butter
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 cups of freshly pitted or frozen cherries. You can also use a can of cherry pie filling as well if you do not have cherries available in the store.
- ½ cup of brown sugar (I have also used apple sauce as a sweetener)
- ½ cup of Gluten Free Oats or regular oats if not gluten free
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- Shortening to grease your baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a two quart baking dish or deep pie pan.
- Spread out cherries on the bottom of the baking dish or individual serving dishes.
- Mix together in a bowl the flour, oats, cinnimon, and brown sugar.
- Add softened butter and almond extract into the bowl. I use a fork to mash the butter into the flour mixture until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
- Place crumbly mixture over the cherries, and smooth the crumbs out evenly.
- Place the cherry crisp in the oven for 20 minutes or until blueberries are bubbling, and crumbs are golden brown.
- Serves about 6
Latest posts by Amee (see all)
- How to Easily Stop Smoke Detector Beeping or Chirping - July 31, 2016
- I Lost My Hero - June 23, 2016
- Damage is Done No Matter The Time - June 9, 2016