This past weekend I noticed the cherries on my one cherry tree were ready for picking. The cherries were a beautiful bright red and the flavor a perfect blend of sweet and sour. I picked cherries as I watched my children swing and slide on their play set. It was a beautiful day and one I will not forget because as I picked my last bowl full of cherries the dark clouds rolled in and rain sprinkled down from the sky like tiny dew drops from a flower. I looked over to the horizon to see the most beautiful rainbow jetting across the sky. The rainbow was only there for a few minutes, but I reflected on how blessed I am as a woman. Life is fleeting and moments like this need enjoyment.
While the rainbow lasted a brief moment, my bowl full of home picked cherries awaited me. I hope you enjoy this wonderful cherry crisp that makes the tastes buds tingle with delight. This crisp can be served hot with a scoop of ice cream or it is good cold.
Almond Cherry Crisp – Gluten Free
1 1/2 cups of Almond Flour or you can use regular All Purpose Flour if not gluten free.
6 tablespoons of softened butter
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 cups of freshly pitted or frozen cherries. You can also use a can of cherry pie filling as well if you do not have cherries available in the store.
1/2 cup of brown sugar (I have also used apple sauce as a sweetener)
1/2 cup of Gluten Free Oats or regular oats if not gluten free
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
Shortening to grease your baking pan
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease a two quart baking dish or deep pie pan.
3. Spread out cherries on the bottom of the baking dish or individual serving dishes.
4. Mix together in a bowl the flour, oats, cinnimon, and brown sugar.
5. Add softened butter and almond extract into the bowl. I use a fork to mash the butter into the flour mixture until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
6. Place crumbly mixture over the cherries, and smooth the crumbs out evenly.
7. Place the cherry crisp in the oven for 20 minutes or until blueberries are bubbling, and crumbs are golden brown.
Serves about 6